Tuesday, August 18, 2009

It Sneaks, It Creeps

It has only just occurred to me how soon the US Open is. You think you're in that post-Wimbledon summer holiday phase... then suddenly, ba da bing, ba da boom, everyone's rushing back from holidays, school's in session and the big exam is coming up.
*
When did that happen? I swear, having Montreal/Toronto and Cincinatti this close together is totally deceptive. It feels like there's been no prep at all, and suddenly the US Open is dropped on our collective heads like a piano.
*
Or maybe that's just me.
*
I remember calling, a couple of weeks ago, Kolya to maybe make the final. I think I might have to revise that, on account of not really believing it, even at the time. With the way Murray's playing, I don't think you can really go past him at the moment. For the finals, that is, because you will not catch me picking against Roger Federer in New York, no sir, you will not. I would not be at all surprised to see a repeat of last year's final... with significantly more sets in it.
*
Wow. I never intended to make this post about grand-sweeping US Open predictions, and there it just happened. Serena to win the women's, by the way... not betting against her any time soon. Which will mean she's won three Slams in a year. Which is pretty much crazy. I would really love for Safina to win it though - to find that backbone I know she has and bring it to the table in a Slam final! That would be awesome.
*
*
Today's Results
*
Western and Southern Financial Group Masters (Cincinatti)
*
Tomas Berdych def. Fernando Gonzalez, 6-4 retired
Guillermo Garcia-Lopez def. Fernando Verdasco, 7-6 (7-4) 7-6 (7-4)
Lleyton Hewitt def. Robin Soderling, 3-6 7-6 (10-8) 6-3
Mikhail Youzhny def. Victor Hanescu, 7-5 6-2
Jurgen Melzer def. Feliciano Lopez, 5-7 7-6 (7-4) 7-6 (9-7)
Andreas Seppi def. Jan Hernych, 3-6 6-4 6-1
Chris Guccione def. Philipp Kohlschreiber, 7-5 2-6 6-3
*
*
Rogers Cup (Toronto)
*
Dominika Cibulkova def. Sara Errani, 6-4 6-2
Virginie Razzano def. Ekaterina Makarova, 6-7 (3-7) 6-0 6-2
Shahar Peer def. Monica Niculescu, 6-4 4-6 7-6 (7-4)
Jie Zheng def. Elena Vesnina, 6-3 6-2
Lucie Safarova def.Kaia Kanepi, 6-4 7-6 (7-3)
Ana Ivanovic def. Magdalena Rybarikova, 2-6 6-3 6-2
Alla Kudryavtseva def. Julie Coin, 2-6 6-1 7-6 (8-6)
Yaroslava Shvedova def. Daniela Hantuchova, 7-6 (7-1) 7-6 (7-4)

No comments: