Sunday, August 9, 2009

Washington Ramblings

Another how-bout-that-I-missed-it mention - how about you, Andy Roddick?
*
I barely even noticed Roddick was in the draw, so smoothly did he cut through it - like a knife through butter. Sure, he had a tough one against Isner in the semis, but considering that he took a loss in the Wimbledon final that could have completely broken him, I think being in a final again is totally admirable. Good on you, Andy - epic kudos. I would really love to see him go deep at the US Open. Obviously I'd like my man R-Fed to win it, but if Andy were to make the final, I would not be devastated.
*
He'll face Juan Martin del Potro, who is defending all the points he gained on this stretch last year. I don't yet have a fix on Juan's form - he's been pretty quiet since that epic semi against Federer at Roland Garros, taking an early loss at Wimbledon and then not really being seen since... but he's in the final here in Washington, so he must have a little somethin' somethin' going on...
*
...and, look, there you go, he just won it! What a nailbiter of a match - it always seems unfair that these matches have to go to a breaker. I'd be all for a deciding third set where you just played on until someone won by two games, but I don't know if the players would be too keen on that.
*
But - one thing I totally forgot to talk about - Isner. Personally, I think he's quite overrated as whenever I see results he always seems to be on the losing end, but where did his performance come from this week? He played some quality players very, very tight indeed. Andy Roddick is lightyears ahead of John Isner in talent and technique and experience and yet Isner hung tough with him. Like, really tough.
*
I'm not saying that Isner is one to watch out for this US Open series, because I'm not going to change my mind over one good run. Still - kudos, dude.
*
*
Today's Results
*
Legg Mason Tennis Classic (Washington)
*
Juan Martin Del Potro def. Andy Roddick, 3-6 7-5 7-6 (8-6)
*
*
LA Women's Tennis Championships
*
Flavia Pennetta def. Samantha Stosur, 6-4 6-3

No comments: