Thursday, August 13, 2009

Kim Possible

Okay, what has Kim Clijsters been doing while she's been away?
*
This is incredible. This is beyond a comeback now - this is sheer brilliance. First she beat Bartoli. Then Schnyder. And now -Kuznetsova?
*
These are all serious quality players - like serious quality. And Clijsters is eating them for breakfast.
*
Well, 'eating for breakfast' might be a little bit of an exaggeration. It did go to three against Kuznetsova - but then it was 6-2 in the third. Kim is sailing, my friends, sailing!
*
And I don't want to put the hoodoo on it... but what if she won the tournament?
*
There. I said it.
*
Both Williams sisters are out, and so the competition is now, I think, significantly lessened. I think Kim has a good a chance at winning this as anyone. What I really hope is that this is not beginner's luck - some major fluke at the start of her comeback which raises everyone's expectations before it's back down to first and second round losses.
*
But if Kim keeps playing at this level, well...
*
Oh yeah - that other comeback. Rafa's doing well. More on him soon.
*
*
Today's Results
*
Rogers Cup (Montreal)
*
Roger Federer def. Stanislas Wawrinka, 6-3 7-6 (7-5)
Rafael Nadal def. Philipp Petzschner, 6-3 6-2
Andy Murray def. Juan Carlos Ferrero, 6-1 6-3
Novak Djokovic def. Mikhail Youzhny, 6-3 6-4
Andy Roddick def. Fernando Verdasco, 7-6 (7-2) 4-6 7-6 (7-5)
Juan Martin Del Potro def. Victor Hanescu, 3-6 6-3 6-4
Jo-Wilfried Tsonga def. Gilles Simon, 6-3 6-3
Nikolay Davydenko def. Fernando Gonzalez, 7-6 (7-2) 7-5
*
*
Western and Southern Financial Group Women's Open (Cincinatti)
*
Sybille Bammer def. Serena Williams, 7-5 6-4
Flavia Pennetta def. Venus Williams, 7-6 (7-2) 6-4
Elena Dementieva def. Sorana Cirstea, 6-4 6-4
Kim Clijsters def. Svetlana Kuznetsova, 6-4 4-6 6-2
Daniela Hantuchova def. Vera Zvonareva, 7-6 (8-6) 0-6 7-6 (7-5)
Caroline Wozniacki def. Melinda Czink, 3-0 retired

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Jodi,
A client of mine, Tennis Plaza, is interested in a small link in the right nav of your website at http://tennisfromthebackseat.blogspot.com//. Not a banner, just a simple text url link over to their website for the phrase "Tennis Plaza" under your links section in the right nav. They can pay you $25 by PayPal if you are interested.

Also, If you are ever down in the Pensacola, FL or Destin, FL area please contact me to play. I am a 4.5 NTRP player and always enjoy new talent on the court. I sometimes play with a 5.5 player that's a former tennis player from the University of Florida. He's so good it's disgusting.

Jodi, if none of this is of interest to you I would still be interested in a blogroll link to my personal tennis website at http://tennisnoise.wordpress.com. It doesn't make me any money but it allows me to share my passion for the game. If you would like me to link back to your blog I would be more than happy to.

Look forward to hearing back from you.

David Patterson
dpatterson at elbrusconsulting (dot) com