Thursday, August 27, 2009

The History Which Does Not Repeat Itself

Querrey beat Davydenko in New Haven. Okay, so maybe this is a leetle better in terms of him winning the US Open series - semis in New Haven plus that title he won earlier in I don't remember where is lots of yummy, tasty points.

Still not enough to catch up to the Murrays and Federers, though, in my humble opinion. It sounds like quantity, not quality, is the name of the game. There must be more points weighted at the 250 level than I had thought. But still, nevertheless, it's a big achievement, so well done Sam.

One question I asked at the beginning of the US season was who was going to be this year's Juan Martin del Potro - and, oh yes, I was determined there was going to be one, because how could there not? Turned out every single prediction I made was wrong, because there really wasn't one. No one guy really burned up the pre-US Open courts this summer in a noticeable way. In fact, the closest you'd probably come would be Querrey, and... um, no. If a guy can win the US Open series without me even noticing, I don't think that counts as the Incredible Hot Streak of Top Ten Makeage like Juan M's was.

So I guess all I've proved with all my theorising is that tennis is completely unpredictable. History doesn't always repeat itself and trends do not always reappear. Like this year's Australian Open - where was this year's Marcos? One of my favourite things around January is to pick the random who will reach the final... who did we get this year? Roger and Rafa.

I'm sure there's a lesson to be learned in there somewhere... but hell, as if I'm going to stop making up my little theories? What would I write about then? 'I don't understannnnnnnnd the rankings system!' 'I love Roger!' 'Novak sucks!'

...yeah, that'd get dull after a while.


Today's Results

Pilot Pen Tennis (New Haven)

Men's Tennis

Fernando Verdasco def. Jurgen Melzer, 6-3 6-1
Sam Querrey def. Nikolay Davydenko, 6-3 3-6 6-4
Igor Andreev def. Leonardo Mayer, 6-4 6-7 (4-7) 6-3


Women's Tennis

Elena Vesnina def. Anna Chakvetadze, 6-1 7-5
Flavia Pennetta def. Magdalena Rybarikova, 6-2 6-2
Caroline Wozniacki def. Virginie Razzano, 6-4 6-3

No comments: